NytramsPlace

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


 

Charles Robert Darwin

486px-Charles_Darwin_seated_crop.jpg

 

2/12/1809 - 4/19/1882



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 

JW


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3957
Date:
Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


Why? He believed in God, he was not the first to suggest evolutionary processes on the Earth and he wasn't even sure of his own hypothesis.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


JW wrote:

Why? He believed in God, he was not the first to suggest evolutionary processes on the Earth and he wasn't even sure of his own hypothesis.


When I posted this I had no doubt you would show up to attempt to impugn Darwin's memory with alternative facts like that. 

"It would make sense to start with Darwin's most plain writings on the subject - an entire section of his autobiography on " Religious belief ". In that section he plainly states that in the late 1830's - at the same time he was formulating his evolutionary theory - he gave up his belief in the Bible and miracles"

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2011/09/did_darwin_believe_in_god.html



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 

JW


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3957
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
JW wrote:

Why? He believed in God, he was not the first to suggest evolutionary processes on the Earth and he wasn't even sure of his own hypothesis.


When I posted this I had no doubt you would show up to attempt to impugn Darwin's memory with alternative facts like that. 

"It would make sense to start with Darwin's most plain writings on the subject - an entire section of his autobiography on " Religious belief ". In that section he plainly states that in the late 1830's - at the same time he was formulating his evolutionary theory - he gave up his belief in the Bible and miracles"

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2011/09/did_darwin_believe_in_god.ht


Before Darwin: Cuvier, Lyell, Hutton

cuvier.jpglyell.jpgJames_Hutton.jpg


Darwin on God:

thz.jpg

 

Darwin's doubts  http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html

 

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


JW wrote:
nytram wrote:
JW wrote:

Why? He believed in God, he was not the first to suggest evolutionary processes on the Earth and he wasn't even sure of his own hypothesis.


When I posted this I had no doubt you would show up to attempt to impugn Darwin's memory with alternative facts like that. 

"It would make sense to start with Darwin's most plain writings on the subject - an entire section of his autobiography on " Religious belief ". In that section he plainly states that in the late 1830's - at the same time he was formulating his evolutionary theory - he gave up his belief in the Bible and miracles"

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2011/09/did_darwin_believe_in_god.ht


Before Darwin: Cuvier, Lyell, Hutton

cuvier.jpglyell.jpgJames_Hutton.jpg


Darwin on God:

thz.jpg

 

Darwin's doubts  http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html

 

 


I never said he was the first to propose the concept of natural selection. He was however the one to codify it. As for his views on the existence of a god, since he started writing his autobiography six years before his death I'm going to go with that as his final word on the subject.

What is it about science that frightens you so?



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 

JW


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3957
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
JW wrote:
nytram wrote:
JW wrote:

Why? He believed in God, he was not the first to suggest evolutionary processes on the Earth and he wasn't even sure of his own hypothesis.


When I posted this I had no doubt you would show up to attempt to impugn Darwin's memory with alternative facts like that. 

"It would make sense to start with Darwin's most plain writings on the subject - an entire section of his autobiography on " Religious belief ". In that section he plainly states that in the late 1830's - at the same time he was formulating his evolutionary theory - he gave up his belief in the Bible and miracles"

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2011/09/did_darwin_believe_in_god.ht


Before Darwin: Cuvier, Lyell, Hutton

cuvier.jpglyell.jpgJames_Hutton.jpg


Darwin on God:

thz.jpg

 

Darwin's doubts  http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html

 

 


I never said he was the first to propose the concept of natural selection. He was however the one to codify it. As for his views on the existence of a god, since he started writing his autobiography six years before his death I'm going to go with that as his final word on the subject.

What is it about science that frightens you so?


 You said what I posted was 'alternative facts'. That covers it all unless you specify further. What I posted was hard fact, period.

nytram, let's just say that you and I understand Science differently. The truth of any scientific statement depends on two things; the logic supporting it and the definitions. They must complement each other. When you liken God to the Tooth Fairy, that complement between logic and definition fails. I realize you don't understand why that is but even so, it is.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


JW wrote:
Nytram, let's just say that you and I understand Science differently. The truth of any scientific statement depends on two things; the logic supporting it and the definitions. They must complement each other. When you liken God to the Tooth Fairy, that complement between logic and definition fails. I realize you don't understand why that is but even so, it is.

No. Let's just say I understand scientific method and you don't. Let me enlighten you, to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning. 

Science frightens you. Time to come out of the closet and admit you are a believer and not agnostic. I'll still think you're deluded but I will at least be able to respect your honesty.



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 

JW


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3957
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
JW wrote:
Nytram, let's just say that you and I understand Science differently. The truth of any scientific statement depends on two things; the logic supporting it and the definitions. They must complement each other. When you liken God to the Tooth Fairy, that complement between logic and definition fails. I realize you don't understand why that is but even so, it is.

No. Let's just say I understand scientific method and you don't. Let me enlighten you, to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning. 

Science frightens you. Time to come out of the closet and admit you are a believer and not agnostic. I'll still think you're deluded but I will at least be able to respect your honesty.


You have memorized a few definitions but have not demonstrated an understanding of science in anything you've attempted to promulgate. When I use words that trigger opposition in you, your reliance on memorized responses is immediately apparent in that you constantly use them inaccurately.

"...to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning." No shit! But both, the measurement and the principles (note the spelling) of reasoning rely on specifically understood definitions. If you don't use the right words, your argument is bullshit. Principals is not a misspelling. It is the wrong word. The whole point of science is to understand and then describe the world accurately and succinctly.

I'm not suggesting that you are ignorant of science, you clearly are not. You are sloppy in your thinking and inaccurate in your rhetoric. When you attempt to represent a scientific idea, you do it carelessly and without a clear understanding of the principles supporting scientific argumentation. For example, "97% of scientists agree". Science is not predicated on consensus. Consensus is irrelevant to the scientific method. Only a dilettante would regard consensus of any significance. Someone fully versed in the science would make a case, present evidence, not rely on logical fallacies like consensus (the fallacy is the Appeal to Authority or the Appeal to Popularity, depending on how you phrase it).

You persist in telling me what I think or in the case of religion, what I am. If you believe I am lying or if you think I am ignorant of some point, make your case, don't just accuse. You accuse me of being something other than what I claim and the you compound the offense by saying I am dishonest but you provide no shred of evidence to support your accusation. Your lack of comprehension does not determine my honesty.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2477
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:

 

Charles Robert Darwin

486px-Charles_Darwin_seated_crop.jpg

 

2/12/1809 - 4/19/1882


 

A good bloke who was happily married to a woman who disagreed with practically everything he said. I believe he wrote a book as well. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


JW wrote:
nytram wrote:
JW wrote:
Nytram, let's just say that you and I understand Science differently. The truth of any scientific statement depends on two things; the logic supporting it and the definitions. They must complement each other. When you liken God to the Tooth Fairy, that complement between logic and definition fails. I realize you don't understand why that is but even so, it is.

No. Let's just say I understand scientific method and you don't. Let me enlighten you, to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning. 

Science frightens you. Time to come out of the closet and admit you are a believer and not agnostic. I'll still think you're deluded but I will at least be able to respect your honesty.


You have memorized a few definitions but have not demonstrated an understanding of science in anything you've attempted to promulgate. When I use words that trigger opposition in you, your reliance on memorized responses is immediately apparent in that you constantly use them inaccurately.

"...to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning." No shit! But both, the measurement and the principles (note the spelling) of reasoning rely on specifically understood definitions. If you don't use the right words, your argument is bullshit. Principals is not a misspelling. It is the wrong word. The whole point of science is to understand and then describe the world accurately and succinctly.

I'm not suggesting that you are ignorant of science, you clearly are not. You are sloppy in your thinking and inaccurate in your rhetoric. When you attempt to represent a scientific idea, you do it carelessly and without a clear understanding of the principles supporting scientific argumentation. For example, "97% of scientists agree". Science is not predicated on consensus. Consensus is irrelevant to the scientific method. Only a dilettante would regard consensus of any significance. Someone fully versed in the science would make a case, present evidence, not rely on logical fallacies like consensus (the fallacy is the Appeal to Authority or the Appeal to Popularity, depending on how you phrase it).

You persist in telling me what I think or in the case of religion, what I am. If you believe I am lying or if you think I am ignorant of some point, make your case, don't just accuse. You accuse me of being something other than what I claim and the you compound the offense by saying I am dishonest but you provide no shred of evidence to support your accusation. Your lack of comprehension does not determine my honesty.


My, how you do go on.

ROTFL110x85.gif



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 

JW


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3957
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
JW wrote:
nytram wrote:
JW wrote:
Nytram, let's just say that you and I understand Science differently. The truth of any scientific statement depends on two things; the logic supporting it and the definitions. They must complement each other. When you liken God to the Tooth Fairy, that complement between logic and definition fails. I realize you don't understand why that is but even so, it is.

No. Let's just say I understand scientific method and you don't. Let me enlighten you, to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning. 

Science frightens you. Time to come out of the closet and admit you are a believer and not agnostic. I'll still think you're deluded but I will at least be able to respect your honesty.


You have memorized a few definitions but have not demonstrated an understanding of science in anything you've attempted to promulgate. When I use words that trigger opposition in you, your reliance on memorized responses is immediately apparent in that you constantly use them inaccurately.

"...to be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principals of reasoning." No shit! But both, the measurement and the principles (note the spelling) of reasoning rely on specifically understood definitions. If you don't use the right words, your argument is bullshit. Principals is not a misspelling. It is the wrong word. The whole point of science is to understand and then describe the world accurately and succinctly.

I'm not suggesting that you are ignorant of science, you clearly are not. You are sloppy in your thinking and inaccurate in your rhetoric. When you attempt to represent a scientific idea, you do it carelessly and without a clear understanding of the principles supporting scientific argumentation. For example, "97% of scientists agree". Science is not predicated on consensus. Consensus is irrelevant to the scientific method. Only a dilettante would regard consensus of any significance. Someone fully versed in the science would make a case, present evidence, not rely on logical fallacies like consensus (the fallacy is the Appeal to Authority or the Appeal to Popularity, depending on how you phrase it).

You persist in telling me what I think or in the case of religion, what I am. If you believe I am lying or if you think I am ignorant of some point, make your case, don't just accuse. You accuse me of being something other than what I claim and the you compound the offense by saying I am dishonest but you provide no shred of evidence to support your accusation. Your lack of comprehension does not determine my honesty.


My, how you do go on.

ROTFL110x85.gif


Excellent demonstration of my point... well done!



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


JW wrote:
nytram wrote:
My, how you do go on.

ROTFL110x85.gif


Excellent demonstration of my point... well done!


JW, you are a silly little man. You ramble on for four paragraphs spouting alternative facts and half truths to deny your theist bent and think you've won something. I'm not surprised though, it's the same tactic you use when trying to justify your messiah's bullshit.

th?id=OIP.M3c08226c755476bab893bb6b907e8

 



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 2477
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


JW wrote:

Excellent demonstration of my point... well done!


 

It has so. 

Nytram has a mindless hatred of religion, people with different opinions and facts. After a certain amount of thought he can manage something along the lines of, "Nah, nah, not listening. I have both fingers in my ears and your mother smells of poo."

But beyond, "whose round is it?" he finds most intellectual debate a bit trying. 

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19690
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


boosewell wrote:
JW wrote:

Excellent demonstration of my point... well done!


 

It has so. 

Nytram has a mindless hatred of religion, people with different opinions and facts. After a certain amount of thought he can manage something along the lines of, "Nah, nah, not listening. I have both fingers in my ears and your mother smells of poo."

But beyond, "whose round is it?" he finds most intellectual debate a bit trying. 

 


Saying I hate religion is rather simplistic. Saying I hate people with different opinions is flat out wrong. As for intellectual debate, JW doesn't supply that. His specialty is spin.

Now I'll let you get back to your mutual appreciation circle jerk.



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 

JW


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 3957
Date:
RE: Tomorrow is the birthday of one of the greatest minds to ever walk the Earth.
Permalink  
 


nytram wrote:
boosewell wrote:
JW wrote:

Excellent demonstration of my point... well done!


 

It has so. 

Nytram has a mindless hatred of religion, people with different opinions and facts. After a certain amount of thought he can manage something along the lines of, "Nah, nah, not listening. I have both fingers in my ears and your mother smells of poo."

But beyond, "whose round is it?" he finds most intellectual debate a bit trying. 

 


Saying I hate religion is rather simplistic. Saying I hate people with different opinions is flat out wrong. As for intellectual debate, JW doesn't supply that. His specialty is spin.

Now I'll let you get back to your mutual appreciation circle jerk.


Still more accusations, still no proof.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard