NytramsPlace

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: ABC of geography


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Mequon, Wisconsin

 

 

The first white settlers of Mequon

 were Isaac BIGELOW and Daniel STRICKLAND, who emigrated with their families from the British possessions and settled in the town of Mequon in 1836. The territory at that time was one dense wilderness, the only thoroughfare, if such they could be called, were the Indian trails, leading in different directions through the vast country which lies north and west of the village. The pioneers followed one of these trails north until they came to Mequonsippi or Pigeon Creek, where they proceeded to erect for themselves rude shanties out of such material as could be found until they could replace them with more substantial log structures. In 1837, James W. WOODWORTH and his brother Ephraim came and took up claims near by. In 1838, William WORTH, Taylor HAVERLIN, John WESTON, Peter TURCK, Reuben WELLS, Isham DAY, Joseph LOOMER and several Irish families made settlements in the town. During the month of August, 1839, William F. OPITZ, in company with his father, mother, sister and brother-in-law, Adolph ZIMMERMANN, came and settled in what is now known as Mequon proper, one-half mile south of where the village of Thienville is now situated. They were the first German settlers. A month later, they were followed by five German families, consisting of Andrew GEIDEL, Michael MUELLER, Andrew LANZENDORF, W. SCHUMANN and Gottfried BAER. During the same year, the BONNIWELLS, William, George, James, Charles, Henry and Alfred came from England and settled that portion of Mequon now known as the Bonniwell District. Next after the BONNIWELLS came the Friestadt Colony, numbering about sixty families. These people sheltered themselves at first in tents. Timothy WOODEN, the first settler in the town of Grafton, and a neighbor of his, helped the Germans to erect their log houses. A year later, the colonists erected a log meeting-house, the first structure of the kind built in old Washington County. In the month of May, 1840, Edward H. JANSSEN, Henry HEISEN and John THOMPSON located in Mequon, and at once set about clearing the lands and interesting themselves in the general welfare of the community. Edward H. JANSSEN was the first German school teacher in the town. He was a man of great enterprise, and soon became an active worker in the politics of the county. Besides holding important offices in the town, he was made a member of the Constitutional Convention, was elected for two terms to the office of Register of Deeds, and, in 1851, was elected to the important office of State Treasurer. In 1854, he in company with his brother and a man by the name of GAITSCH built the Hamilton Grist-Mill, a large stone structure located on Cedar Creek, a mile south of the village. He was afterward elected County Superintendent of Schools, which office he held at the time of his death, which occurred during the year 1877.




__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Narnia!



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Oshkosh, Wisconsin

 

 

Oshkosh was named for Menominee Chief Oshkosh, whose name meant "claw" Although the fur trade brought the first European settlers to the area as early as 1818, it never became a major player in the fur trade. It was the establishment and growth of the lumber industry in the area that spurred development of Oshkosh. Oshkosh was incorporated as a city in 1853.

The lumber industry became well established as entrepreneurs took advantage of navigable waterways to provide access to both markets and northern pineries. The 1859 arrival of rail transportation expanded the ability to meet the demands of a rapidly-growing construction market. By 1870, Oshkosh had become the third-largest city in Wisconsin with a population of over 12,000. .

Around 1900 Oshkosh was home of the Oshkosh Brewing Company, who coined the marketing slogan "By Gosh It's Good". Their Chief Oshkosh became a nationally distributed beer.

Oshkosh is probably best known for OshKosh B'Gosh, a manufacturer of overalls and children's clothing founded in Oshkosh in 1895. Originally a small-town manufacturer of adult work clothing, it became best known for its children's lines. The original children's overalls, dating from the early twentieth century, were intended to help children dress like their fathers. According to the company, sales increased dramatically when Miles Kimball, an Oshkosh-based mail-order catalog, featured a pair of the overalls in its national catalog. As a result, OshKosh B'Gosh began to sell their products through department stores and expanded their children's line. Despite the name, OshKosh B'Gosh overalls are no longer made in Oshkosh, though the company maintains corporate offices there.

Oshkosh is also the home of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration" held by the Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc. ("EAA"). AirVenture is the world's largest airshow, and during AirVenture, air traffic at Wittman Regional Airport exceeds that of any other airport in the world. EAA is a non-profit member organization, dedicated to home-built aircraft, restored aircraft, and light-sport aircraft.



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Patagonia, Arizona (who knew?)...directly south of Tucson, right near the border



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Quincy, Wisconsin

 

Quincy Bluffs



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Before the Interstate system was finished a few decades ago, and we had to travel more rural highways between TX and NJ and then FL and NJ, we drove past countless signs that instructed us to "See Rock City!"  Alas, we never have.

 



__________________



Resident Curmudgeon

Status: Offline
Posts: 8215
Date:
ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


2010007.jpg

When Birdland Condos gets demolished, this will (hopefully) replace it... 

 

Skokie, Illinois

Charlie twocents.gif



-- Edited by KidCharlieMane on Monday 5th of February 2018 01:23:05 PM

__________________

01308.jpg

 There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -- Albert Schweitzer

 
 King-Nixon-280.jpg 
KCM (Imperial Lizard and Resident Curmudgeon)



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Toledo, Spain



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Union Grove, Wisconsin


In 1838, John E. Dunham came from the east in search of a new home and settled in southeast Wisconsin. He purchased 80 acres and built the first house and barn

In 1846, the first school house was built called Union School because it brought together several outlying school districts.

The village got its name from Governor Dodge who combined the school's name with grove for the beautiful grove of burr oak trees on the west side of Highway 45.

1844: the first church of Union Grove was organized six years after the Sunday school started. On June 1, 1893, Rev. Frank Dexter and his wife, Rev. Mabel Dexter served the Union Grove Congregational Church.

1882:The first brick school was constructed with the west wing added in the 1890's. In the 1920's the building became Union Grove's Masonic Temple.

1900: Four Year high school had 13 graduates with a faculty of 3.

1902: On July 14, Old Settlers Society incorporated and purchased a 12-acre park.

1903: State Bank of Union Grove incorporated and erected a building on the east side of Main Street.

1904: On June 24, Fire destroyed Commercial Hotel, Myers Opera House and Weiler's Saloon.

1905: Box stoves were discarded from the elementary school and pot-bellied upright, coal burning stoves were installed.

1906: The Union Grove Telephone Company contracted with the Wisconsin Telephone Company for long distance service to each patron.

1907: On August 27, Alby Blacksmith Shop was established.

1908: September 1, National Mutual Benefit Colony was chartered.

1910: Meeter's Kraut Factory was built in Union Grove. G.R. "Bob" Cornell was plant manager. In addition to sauerkraut, pickles and tomatoes were processed at various times at the factory.

1914: The Union Grove Lumber and Coal Co., with Merritt Anderson as manager and John Huck, secretary, served the Union Grove area with quality coal and building materials of all kinds from lumber to fencing, beginning this year.

1915: On January 7, Union Grove Lumber & Coal Co. was incorporated.

1916: During the early morning hours of Friday, March 24, a disastrous fire broke out. The fire engulfed eleven of the most important and centrally located business institutions on the west side of Main Street. This was one of the largest, most disastrous fires that Union Grove has ever witnessed.

 



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Valparaiso, Indiana



-- Edited by KittyBiggerstaff on Sunday 5th of June 2011 10:03:53 PM

__________________

Dee


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4202
Date:
ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Winthrop, Washington

 

standard.jpg

 

For Kitty, the nearby Sun Mountain Lodge

SunMountainLodge.jpg

 

For 9000 years Native Americans lived along the banks of the Methow, Twisp and Chewuch rivers, digging camas root, picking berries, fishing and hunting. The first white men to visit the valley were trappers in the 1800's.

But it was in 1883 when the lure of gold brought the first permanent white settlers, three of which were James Ramsey, Ben Pearrygin and Guy Waring. Waring stopped at the forks of the Chewuch and Methow rivers in 1891 where he and his family settled into the "Castle" (now the Shafer Museum).

Although Waring is the acclaimed founding father, the town is named after Theodore Winthrop, a Yale graduate, adventurer/traveler and gifted 19th century author. The town was rebuilt after a devastating fire in 1893. Waring's original Duck Brand Saloon (considered the best run saloon in the country by numerous church publications) was built in 1891.

It survived the fire and is now Winthrop's Town Hall. Waring's "Methow Trading Company" operated for 49 years beginning in 1897.

Owen Wister, Waring's Harvard roommate, wrote The Virginian, American's first western novel, after honey-mooning in Winthrop.

In 1972, when State Highway 20 was nearing completion over the North Cascades, several business people began planning for travelers passing through the town. Mrs. Kathryn Wagner and her husband Otto came up with the idea of a western restoration. All of the local merchants pitched in financially and Mrs. Wagner paid the balance for the reconstruction, painting and new signs.

The architect and designer was Robert Jorgenson of Leavenworth, Washington who wanted "to make the design as authentic as possible in order to preserve the spirit of the valley". The original signs were created by Chet Endrezzi.

Cattle drives, medicine shows, pack trains and the mystique of the old west are still part of the Methow Valley experience. Almost completely surrounded by National Forest, State Game Range and Wilderness areas, Winthrop and the upper Methow Valley beckons adventurers of all kinds.

 



-- Edited by Dee on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 12:20:32 AM



-- Edited by Dee on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 12:24:55 AM

__________________


Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Dee wrote:

Winthrop, Washington

ar12570197501766.JPG

 

For 9000 years Native Americans lived along the banks of the Methow, Twisp and Chewuch rivers, digging camas root, picking berries, fishing and hunting. The first white men to visit the valley were trappers in the 1800's.

But it was in 1883 when the lure of gold brought the first permanent white settlers, three of which were James Ramsey, Ben Pearrygin and Guy Waring. Waring stopped at the forks of the Chewuch and Methow rivers in 1891 where he and his family settled into the "Castle" (now the Shafer Museum).

Although Waring is the acclaimed founding father, the town is named after Theodore Winthrop, a Yale graduate, adventurer/traveler and gifted 19th century author. The town was rebuilt after a devastating fire in 1893. Waring's original Duck Brand Saloon (considered the best run saloon in the country by numerous church publications) was built in 1891.

It survived the fire and is now Winthrop's Town Hall. Waring's "Methow Trading Company" operated for 49 years beginning in 1897.

Owen Wister, Waring's Harvard roommate, wrote The Virginian, American's first western novel, after honey-mooning in Winthrop.

In 1972, when State Highway 20 was nearing completion over the North Cascades, several business people began planning for travelers passing through the town. Mrs. Kathryn Wagner and her husband Otto came up with the idea of a western restoration. All of the local merchants pitched in financially and Mrs. Wagner paid the balance for the reconstruction, painting and new signs.

The architect and designer was Robert Jorgenson of Leavenworth, Washington who wanted "to make the design as authentic as possible in order to preserve the spirit of the valley". The original signs were created by Chet Endrezzi.

Cattle drives, medicine shows, pack trains and the mystique of the old west are still part of the Methow Valley experience. Almost completely surrounded by National Forest, State Game Range and Wilderness areas, Winthrop and the upper Methow Valley beckons adventurers of all kinds.

 


I'd love to go there, provided there's a Holiday Inn Express nearby.  smile

That's a beautifully restored specimen of the Old West.  Lot of W's in its history--Winthrop, Waring, Wister, and Wagner, sounds like a law firm.  I got such a hoot out of "Waring's original Duck Brand Saloon (considered the best run saloon in the country by numerous church publications)..."

Anyway, what did I inherit, "X" again?!

 

Xinguara, Brazil

 

 



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Yorkville, Wisconsin

Modine-Benstead Observatory



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Zaccanopoli, Italy



__________________



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Alamogordo, New Mexico



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Baraboo, Wisconsin

The area eventually known as Baraboo was first settled by Abe Wood in 1838, and was known as the village ofAdams. In 1846 it became the county seat of Sauk County after a fierce fight with the nearby village ofReedsburg. In 1852, the village was renamed Baraboo and formally incorporated as such in 1882.

Baraboo was home to several sawmills early in its history because of its location near the Baraboo and Wisconsin Rivers. In the 19th century it was also headquarters of several circuses, including the Ringling Brothers Circus, and thus became known as Circus City.

Baraboo is home to the Circus World Museum, the former headquarters and winter home of the Ringling Brothers circus and now the largest library of circus information in the United States. This living museum has a collection of circus wagons, and occasionally hosts the Great Circus Parade of these artifacts through the streets of Baraboo.

The Al. Ringling Theatre is an active landmark in the city. This grand scale movie palace is larger and more elaborate than one would normally find in a town the size of Baraboo, owing to the financial assistance of the Ringling family. The Al Ringling home still exists and is maintained in good condition.

Baraboo is also home to the International Crane Foundation, an organization dedicated to the study and conservation of the world's 15 species of craneAldo Leopold's Shack and Farm, celebrated in his famous book A Sand County Almanac (1949) is near Baraboo.



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Coeur d'Alene, Idaho



__________________



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

 



__________________



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20260
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


 

Embarrass, Wisconsin

 

 

A French word was first attached to the river. It means to impede, to obstruct, or to entangle. Many of the early lumberjacks were French Canadians. When they tried to send logs down the river they found it almost impossible because of the many snags and other debris. They called it Riviere Embarrase.

http://www.witowns.com/OurWisconsinTowns.htm



__________________

Nytram Press    

© 2018

 



Commander, Consolation Prize

Status: Offline
Posts: 24215
Date:
RE: ABC of geography
Permalink  
 


I guess embarrass doesn't mean quite the same thing in English as it does in French.

"So where are you from?"  "I'm embarrassed to say."

 

Fagurholsmyri, Iceland



__________________

«First  <  1 2 3 4 527  >  Last»  | Page of 27  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard